Two Guys Naked in a Hot Tub
Stan is dragged to Mr. Mackey's meteor shower party and sent down into the basement to play with Pip, Butters and Dougie. Randy and Gerald share an intimate moment in a hot tub.
Stan is forced by his parents to attend Mr. Mackey's meteor shower party, where he's locked in the basement along with the school's lamest kids or "Melvins": Pip, a first-grader named Dougie, and Butters. Stan tries to escape the basement but the Melvins decide to dress up in women's clothing and play Charlie's Angels. They ask Stan to be Bosley, who plays along and gives them the "mission" of finding a way out.
Meanwhile Stan's dad Randy and Kyle's dad Gerald climb naked into Mr. Mackey's new hot tub and discuss their mutual desire to watch another man masturbate. They promptly fulfill that desire with each other.
Stan and the Melvins exit the basement via an air duct, locate a TV and discover that agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) have surrounded the house. The ATF believes the party guests are cult members planning to commit suicide. To counter this crazed cult suicide, the ATF prepares to storm the house and kill everyone. The boys make a video proving that there's nothing going on in the house, then smuggle it out to the press. Disaster is more-or-less averted.
While the life-or-death struggle with the ATF plays out, Randy spends the party moping around, freaked out by the masturbation session in the hot tub. But he feels better when he learns that pretty much every other male at the gathering has done something similar. Is it gay? "Well, maybe a little," Jimbo says. "But we're all a little gay."
What I Learned Today
"I used to call you guys Melvins. But you're just kids like me. We separate you in school because you talk different and study too hard, and you've proven tonight that we can all get along."
- "All right, let's get ready to kick some religious fanatic ass." - (ATF Commander)
- "You can't just hang out with your buddy Kyle all the time. People will think you're you know funny." (Randy Marsh)
- "This sounds as fun as Wickershams and Decklers!" (Pip Pirrup)
- "Well, it is a night for experimenting." (Randy Marsh)
- "Those sick cult-fanatic bastards!" (Newscaster)
- "Did I do a nice job, really?" (Pip Pirrup)
- "Well, it's not like you're the only guy who's ever watched another guy masturbate." (Mr. Mackey)
Butters Stotch plays his first major role in this episode, having more than a few lines than his speaking debut in "Roger Ebert Should Lay Off the Fatty Foods". Though not fully developed in this episode yet, Butters' shy, stuttering Southern accent was modeled after South Park's Director of Animation Eric Stough.
Finally we see Cameron, the big burly guy that is friends and have masturbated with Jimbo.
Eight partygoers gunned down by the ATF as they try to leave Mr. Mackey's house. Four homes are blown up.
Behind The Scenes
Where Did The Idea Come From
"Two Guys Naked in a Hot Tub" is the second of three different stories that all take place on the same night, also known as the Meteor Shower Trilogy. This episode revolves around Stan.
The episode was a satire of the Waco Siege, a 51-day blockade initiated by the ATF then the FBI against the Branch Davidians religious group in Waco, Texas. Trey and Matt watched the 1997 documentary Waco: The Rules of Engagement on HBO and thought the U.S. government "really, really fucked [the siege] up." The FBI launched a final attack over its concerns of potential child sexual abuse and mass suicide inside the cult's compound. The siege ended when the compound burned down, killing most of the Branch Davidian members. They allegedly started the fire themselves to commit suicide, however the origin of the fire remains highly disputed.
Pop Culture References
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) is a department that regulates the listed controlled substances and weapons in the United States. In 2001 they were renamed The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
The ATF hold a siege outside of Mr. Mackey's party, believing inside is actually a cult planning to commit suicide during the meteor shower. This is a reference to a religious cult called Heaven's Gate that committed suicide during the passing of Comet Hale–Bopp in 1997.
Reporter Derek Smalls (named Kevin McCarty in "Sexual Harassment Panda") is named after the character from 1984 music mockumentary This Is Spinal Tap. Derek Smalls was the bassist for the parody heavy metal band Spinal Tap.
After finding women's clothes, the Melvins immediately decide they should play Charlie's Angels, inspired by the television series of the same name. Butters and Pip both want to be Jacquelin Smith, who plays the character Kelly Garrett. Eventually Butters wins, leaving Pip to play Sabrina Duncan, who is played by actress Kate Jackson.
Randy freaks out when he overhears two party guests gossiping about who they heard was gay. They were talking about Ricky Martin, whose song "Livin' la Vida Loca" was popular at the time this episode aired. South Park jokingly anticipated Ricky Martin's sexual orientation; on March 29, 2010, he officially stated that he was gay on his own website.
There is a painting of The Scream above the bed in Mr. Mackey's bedroom.
Cher, whose new album is used by the ATF in front of Mr. Mackey's house. "This is what we did in Waco: play really bad music really loud until it drives them nuts and makes them want to come out." The song they play is a parody of Cher's 1998 hit song "Believe", impersonated by South Park former writer Pam Brady. Ironically Mr. Mackey's party guests love the song.
- In an early scene Cartman's mom is shown at the party talking on the phone to her son, a direct reference to events in the first installment of the Meteor Shower Trilogy, "Cat Orgy".
- The instrumental version of "Wild Wild West Rap" from "Cat Orgy" can be heard playing in the background of the party during the scene where Dougie is taping his report. Later, an instrumental version of "Stinky Britches" from "Chef Aid" plays.
- Christophe "The Mole" from South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut appears on the Late Night with Conan O'Brien talk show while Stan is channel surfing on Mr. Mackey's T.V.
- Negotiators are people who try to find compromise in dangerous situations. Here, "The Negotiator" is just a large cannon which the ATF points directly at Mackey's house.
- Pip was apparently an Archery-class esquire at Staffordshire, a county in the West Midlands region of England.
- This is the first episode where Cartman is absent.
- e1 Rainforest Shmainforest
- e2 Spontaneous Combustion
- e3 The Succubus
- e4 Tweek Vs. Craig
- e5 Jakovasaurs
- e6 Sexual Harassment Panda
- e7 Cat Orgy
- e8 Two Guys Naked in a Hot Tub
- e9 Jewbilee
- e10 Chinpokomon
- e11 Starvin' Marvin in Space
- e12 Korn's Groovy Pirate Ghost Mystery
- e13 Hooked on Monkey Fonics
- e14 The Red Badge of Gayness
- e15 Mr. Hankey's Christmas Classics
- e16 Are You There, God? It's Me, Jesus
- e17 World Wide Recorder Concert